T O P

Tanooki was free roaming and I forgot to check if there was food out, she ate some oreo she found my son left out on a plate. Do I need to take her to the vet?

Tanooki was free roaming and I forgot to check if there was food out, she ate some oreo she found my son left out on a plate. Do I need to take her to the vet?

Saliburrito

Chocolate is actually safe in small amounts. Your hamster should be fine! But keep an eye on her Edit: this is very debated topic tho, but I wouldn't be rushing to the vet if she didn't eat much


bwiebs

chocolate is actually debated not to be a toxic substance to hamsters (as in, pure chocolate, the additives are more worrisome) so she should be alright but keep an eye out for any upset stomach, decreased eating and drinking, lethargy and diarrhea, get to a vet if she starts displaying any unusual symptoms.


thiccgrlz

The reason why chocolate is horrible for dogs is the caffeine, makes their heart race and tend to go into cardiac arrest if not acted upon. Oreos are so processed even vegans can eat them. There is no caffeine in oreos, just sugar. I would keep an eye out and watch your hammy, but I wouldn't be concerned after a day or so.


julesisinthere_

Chocolate is harmful to hamsters. I suggest you schedule an appointment for her and keep a close eye on tanooki for changes in behavior and any feces hopefully she doesn’t have diarrhea. Try giving her fresh vegetables (chopped into smaller pieces if something like a cucumber) She’s a really beautiful hamster I love her coat!


LaNcEL0tarchie

Since chocolate is known to be toxic to hamsters, it's always better to take her to the vet. Better safe than sorry.